Tuesday, 4 April 2017

Rain... you're ruining my blogging capabilities

A few weeks ago, the day after I lost out on that gorgeous antique desk, I showed Jake another ad on Kijiji, hoping he could see what I saw.

I'm still keeping my eye out for another beauty like this.
After a little bit of convincing, Jake picked up this vanity light for a measly $10.

Super cheap!
Now I know what you're thinking... "Ew. That is super 80's/90's why on earth would you want that in your house?!"

Normally, I'd be right there with you. But I figured I could paint it and it would give off the appropriate vibe I was going for in the downstairs bathroom for a very affordable price.

As I have mentioned numerous times, I am an old house renovator blog addict. One of my absolute favourite blogs is called Vivacious Victorian. And nerd that I am, I went back recently to re-read the entire thing. That's when I stumbled across this post detailing how they renovated their master bathroom in one of their previous houses. I had to laugh out loud when I noticed this picture and the associated caption:

These are the grossest.
Credit: Vivacious Victorian
Those lights were identical to the one I just purchased to put in our bathroom. And like a NORMAL person, Amy (of Vivacious Victorian) wanted nothing more than to get rid of them.

But I had a plan!!!

Our downstairs bathroom just needs to be functional. I want it to be as pretty as I can get it for the limited budget it deserves right now, but ultimately, function comes first (and that kills me to say because for years I've stated "fashion over comfort"). I have BIG plans for it to look amazing down the road, but we just need a bathroom that will work for us while we save and plan our master bath.

That's why we are using the old tub from upstairs.

The tub has been moved from room to room since it was taken from the bathroom upstairs. And it's kind of become a contained dumping ground lol
And why we're using a toilet and vanity from my parent's old house:

Ooo! Ahh!

A little mix and match!
My thought process was as follows:

"This light is $10. We do not have a light for that room yet. If I paint this light, this light could totally work. Let's buy this light."

Last week I officially decided I would paint it! This was mostly so I could write a blog post that wasn't about blocking again.

The teaser I posted of the prep work.
And I got it prepped, and one side done... but then it rained the rest of the week. And I was busy with the Sweet Ontario Maple Weekend going on at the farm all weekend so I didn't have the time to do it then. And then last night it rained. And today it's raining... So I still haven't had a chance to finish the bloody thing.

I have to say that I'm really liking how it's coming. Hopefully I can finish it this week (if the weather would just COOPERATE!!!) and show you how it turned out. I am pretty confident that this was one of those ideas where I wasn't crazy after all, but you can be the judge of that I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment