Tuesday, 16 May 2017

Things are happening! - Laying sub-floor upstairs.

We're in the thick of it now friends!

This past Saturday we were able to get a start on removing the flooring upstairs and laying the sub-floor.

Don't panic old house lovers! We're keeping all the best pieces of the flooring and will re-purpose it elsewhere in the house (specifically as back-splash in the kitchen)

Picking up the sub-floor!
The process of laying sub-floor isn't exactly difficult work. It was just time-consuming for us for two reasons. First, we had to think about some things and figure out exactly how we were going to execute it upstairs. And second, my brother came to help and insisted we take "union breaks". (Ultimately we were fine with this. Well... Jake was fine with this... I just wanted to get it done and got really antsy every time we took a break ha ha)

Here is what we started with that day:

Ali's closet
My closet, view from the doorway.

Guest bedroom
Guest Bedroom, view from the doorway

guest bedroom from inside
Guest Bedroom, view from inside room

Ali's closet from inside
My closet, view from inside room.

Our goal for the day was to get my closet and the guest bedroom completed.

It was a bit depressing knowing that the very first wall I blocked had to come down (due to the fact it sat on the floor). It was extra depressing how quick the wall came down, considering how long it took me to finish the bloody thing...

One step forward, two steps back. Silver lining? At least there was a giant step forward by the end of the day.

Laying sub-floor. We took the wall down as we went across the room.

Our process was pretty straightforward: 
1. Remove original flooring
2. Remove nails
3. Sweep floor joists
4. Lay sub-floor to make sure it fit
5. PL the floor joists (to help prevent squeaks)
6. Lay sub-floor
7. Screw sub-floor into joists

Half of room done
Wall completely down and most of the room done. 
Especially after my brother showed up, we got into a pretty decent groove of things. We each had our own jobs and worked efficiently. I was definitely the scapegoat of the day though. It's a good thing I can handle being made fun of because oh boy... those two are ruthless!

adding blocking under subfloor
My brother, adding some blocking for stability near the break between sections of sub-floor
I left just before we finished the whole thing because I had to go to the bathroom so bad and being a woman, needed a functioning bathroom to do so. But yesterday I took some "after" shots of the two rooms done. 

Ali's closet view from inside
My closet, view from inside room

spare bedroom view from inside
Spare bedroom, view from inside room

spare bedroom
Spare bedroom, view from doorway.

My closet, view from doorway
You'll notice in some of those pictures that the bannister is down, and the floor in the hallway torn up. 

As the title of this post says... THINGS ARE HAPPENING!

Just look at the loot we picked up last night!

Lots of lumber!
Be prepared for some pretty exciting posts coming up! (well... they'll seem super exciting to me anyway!)

Don't be afraid to leave comments here. I am genuinely interested in what you have to say! (Also, it feels like my blog becomes vindicated when people talk to me about it, which is a GREAT way to sooth my vanity 😁)

No comments:

Post a comment